K-1 Visa: Fiance(e) Visa

The K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for fiancé(e).

A fiancé (e) is a person who is engaged or contracted to be married.

If you are an American citizen and you want your foreign fiancé(e) to travel to the United States to marry you and live in the U.S., you must file a Petition for Alien Fiancé (e) in the United States.

K1 Visa - Requirements

K-1 - Nonimmigrant Visa for Fiancé(e)After the USCIS approves the petition, it sends the petition to National Visa Center for processing, prior to sending it to the embassy or consulate where your fiancé(e) will apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa for a fiancé(e).

The K-1 visa allows a fiancé(e) to enter the U.S. one time only. If your fiancÚ(e) leaves the United States after entering on a K-1 visa, he(she) may not re-enter on the same visa.

After marriage, your spouse must apply to become a permanent resident or to Adjust Status with the USCIS office that serves the area where you live in the United States, if she/he inteds to live permanently in the U.S. Your fiancé(e) will receive conditional permanent residence status for two years. After this period you can apply to remove the conditions.

If your fiancé(e) does not intend to become a permanent resident after your marriage, she/he must leave the U.S. within 90 days of the original nonimmigrant admission.

The length of time to process a K-1 application varies from case to case according to its circumstances. However, Fiance(e) visas (K-1) generally have a shorter waiting period than marriage-based immigration visa petitions.

You may also apply to bring your fiancé(e)'s unmarried children, who are under age 21, to the U.S.


Please visit the following links if you need information on other nonimmigrant visas:

Contact our Immigration Division when Applying for a K-1 Visa

It is not uncommon for the visa to get delayed because of mistakes done during the application process. If you are considering bringing your foreign fiancé(e) to the U.S. to marry you contact our immigration attorneys at (407) 500-0000. You can also send us an e-mail at Attorney@ImmigrationCounselors.com or fill out our online form. We have helped thousands of couples in the past and will be very happy to help you too.

(407) 500-0000

About Us
Translation Services
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

Subscribe to our Newsletter

(407) 500-0000
E-mail Us

US Immigration Attorneys | About Us | Immigrant Visas | Non-Immigrant Visas | Asylum | Citizenship | Deportation | Translation Services | Contact Us


The Plaza
189 South Orange Avenue, Suite 1800
Orlando, FL 32801
t: 407 500 0000

Nottingham, UK
Paragon Law
Hockley Village, NG1 3AJ
DX 702154, Nottingham 6
t: 115 9644 123


(c) Copyright 2015 NeJame Law

Follow NeJameLaw on Twitter